Mark J. Davis
Mark is an experienced executive with public, private, and start-up company experience. Working in technology based businesses since the mid-nineties, he pioneered online television listings as well as the Internet delivery of economic data and forecasts. He led the launch of one of the earliest successful subscription Web sites, launched mobile sites, and developed and implemented new product development processes at two separate companies. He’s negotiated content partnerships, e-commerce partnerships, affiliate relationships, distribution agreements, and sales agreements, and has a proven track record of building successful digital media businesses, leveraging both new and existing content. Mark has had key strategic and transactional roles in eleven acquisitions, divestitures, or strategic investments in both the media and consumer products industries and was part of the leadership team for two successful business exits.
During his career Mark served as Director of Planning for CSS Industries, Vice President, Strategy and Interactive Media for The San Diego Union-Tribune, COO/CFO for TheWrap, a digital media company covering the entertainment industry, COO/CFO of marketing data company Infocore, and as President and COO of Omnislash, an esports media company.
Mark has been a speaker at Princeton University’s Future of News conference and the Collegiate Network’s Western Division Editors Conference, and contributed the chapter on The Flow of Information to the e-Voter Institute’s book, About Face: The Dramatic Impact of the Internet on Politics and Advocacy. He is on the board of the Susan G. Komen San Diego affiliate and also serves as the chair of the San Diego Crew Classic‘s Competition Committee. He has also served as an Entrepreneur in Residence at San Diego’s CONNECT and as a board member of the San Diego Rowing Club and Fairmount Rowing Association. Mark is a former Marine Corps infantry officer.
- Reviewed a new business plan for an economics research firm resulting in a substantial change in direction saving the company from accepting its first outside investment and embarking on an potentially disastrous path.
- Researched related and adjacent markets for a consumer products company and developed an expansion plan and acquisition targets that resulted in renewed revenue growth.
- Served as interim managing director for the Hong Kong sourcing office of a consumer products company.
- Integrated previously separate print and digital teams for a media company, creating operational efficiencies and a more audience centric product.
- Developed financial and business plans for several startups in digital media, social media, and the sharing economy.
See Mark’s LinkedIn profile here.